Great Young Minds Showcase - Physically Educating students to a healthier lifestyle
Bearfield Primary School’s physical education program is designed to help our students to develop and improve their personal fitness and motor skills by providing developmentally appropriate activities through creative instruction. Our main goal for our students in physical education is to develop a passion for exercise and physical activity.
In the month of September our students took part in practicing the importance of bus safety. The students learned that when riding the bus you should always follow these important rules and if followed everyone on the bus will be safe:
• Be alert to traffic. Check both ways for cars before stepping off the bus. Look left, right, and then left again.
• Make eye contact with the bus driver, and wait for the bus driver’s signal before crossing the street.
• Walk in front of the bus, ten feet or more away from the front bumper; never walk behind the bus to cross the street.
• Never eat on the bus!
• While waiting for the bus, stay in a safe place at least ten big steps away from where the bus comes to a halt.
• Before leaving the sidewalk, look for the flashing red lights.
• Never go under the bus to retrieve something you’ve dropped.
Not only did our students learn about bus safety but also fire and tornado/hurricane evacuation drills. We feel that student’s safety is our number one priority here at Bearfield Primary and want to make sure that if a emergency situation did take place our children will be prepared in what they are suppose to do.
October was another key month in physical education here at Bearfield because it was Fire Safety Month. During this time our local Ahoskie Fire Department came and spoke with our students about the importance of being prepared to evacuate your home in a fire situation. The students were also lucky because they were able to experience what it would be like in a smoke situation during a fire by going into the Fire Departments portable “Smokehouse” and practicing crawling out so again our students would be prepared in a catastrophic situation.
*Activities and Games Played in GYM- Soccer, Cup Stacking, Scooters, HOPSports, Fitness Test and much more *
Our main target for Bearfield Primary Physical Education is that all students become aware of healthy habits and the importance of physical activity in their lives in order to maintain a healthy lifestyle.