We are so excited that you are interested in joining
Hertford County Public Schools.
Hertford County Public Schools utilizes the new North Carolina School Jobs online application system, powered by PeopleAdmin. It provides an innovative way to streamline the hiring process. Applicants will experience an enhanced, user-friendly system when applying for positions. To apply for career opportunities, select CAREERS from the Hertford County Public Schools webpage at www.hertford.k12.nc.us. We invite you to complete a new application at the link above if you are interested in seeking a new position now or in the near future.
Step 1: Apply
Be sure to upload all applicable items with your application: transcripts, Praxis/NTE/Pearson scores, your license, resume, letter of interest, and effective teacher training certificate.
Step 2: Interview and Recommendation
- Principals/Supervisors determine which applicants to invite for an interview.
- If Principals/Supervisors need more information or would like to set up an interview, the applicant will be contacted directly via phone or email.
Recommendation and Review
- The principal or supervisor submits a recommendation to Human Resources.
- Human Resources will review the application for completeness and relevant credentials, including a North Carolina Teacher’s License (if applicable) and Highly qualified information (if applicable). Human Resources also will check to see if the applicant is certified in the area for which the request has been submitted.
- An incomplete application will delay the process.
- All required documents, including interview and telephone reference forms, are sent to Human Resources.
Step 3: Recommendation for Employment
- The applicant is sent a link to complete a Criminal Record Check (CRC). This is sent via email to the email address listed on the application.
- Human Resources cannot move forward with the processing of the recommendation until the CRC is complete.
- Once approved, the CRC is received, Human Resources will contact the applicant by phone to offer the position.
- Once the applicant accepts the position, a recommendation is submitted to the Board of Education for approval.
Step 4: Pre-Employment
- Human Resources will communicate with the candidate, welcoming them aboard.
- The new employee will register for a New Employee Orientation
- The session will last approximately 2 hours.
- Completion of the on-site pre-employment orientation, including submission of required documentation, is mandatory before the applicant can report to the work site.
Frequently Asked Questions:
How do I apply for a position with HCPS?
You will need to complete the online application and provide all of the necessary supporting documents.
- Transcripts: You should request your college or university send a copy of your transcript to Human Resource Services. Both undergraduate and graduate transcripts are desired. Beginning teachers should file a supplemental transcript after requirements for the degree are met.
- References: Your application should include the name, position, complete mailing address, and work and home telephone numbers of at least three references, such as principals and supervisors, who have first-hand knowledge of your professional preparation and competence. References such as relatives are not acceptable.
- Application packet: Your application packet, when complete, will contain the following:
- A completed application
- A copy of your teacher's license
- A copy of your NTE, PRAXIS, or other state required test scores
- A copy of your final, dated-degree college transcripts
- Requirements for Classified Applicants
All applicants for child nutrition assistants, custodians, and teacher assistants must be willing and able to obtain a bus driver's license and drive when needed.
Teacher Assistant - To be eligible for a teacher assistant position, an applicant must have a High School Diploma or GED, have completed a minimum of 60 semester hours of college level credits or a 2-year degree, and have completed Effective Teacher Training
Office Support - Office support/secretarial positions require an Associates degree.
Maintenance & Transportation - Many maintenance and transportation positions require specific licenses for certain aspects of their position (ex: Pesticide license, electrical license, CDL, etc.)
Child Nutrition: HS Diploma or GED, ServeSafe Certification preferred, but not required.
Bus Driver: HS Diploma or GED, CDL, clean driving record
See job descriptions attached to positions listed on our Job Board, if applicable, for specific requirements of posted positions. Any requested attachments should be uploaded during the application process.
What happens after I submit my application?
You will receive an email confirmation of your application submission. All applications are reviewed and screened. Candidates who best meet the position requirement will be contacted by the Principal or Hiring Supervisor.
Will I be contacted for a job interview?
Principals or a Department Supervisor will contact the candidates they are interested in interviewing.
I submitted an application, but have not heard back yet. Who should I contact?
Due to the large volume of applications we receive, we are unable to respond personally to all applicants. Should your qualifications match a staffing need, you will be directly contacted.
Can I apply via email, fax, mail, or by directly contacting the Human Resources department?
HCPS only accepts applications submitted through the online application system. The advantages of an online application system benefit both the applicants and the school system. The online application system provides more options for applicants and more timely updates to job postings.
How frequently do you update job postings?
We update job postings as positions become available. At our busiest time of the year, this can happen on a daily basis.
A job has been posted for a number of months. Is it still open?
If a position is on the website, it is still open and the Principal/Hiring Supervisor is still seeking candidates.
Do jobs remain posted after the position has been filled?
Postings are removed once a job has been filled with a board-approved candidate.
Can I update an application, once it has been submitted?
Yes, you will be able to log back in and make changes to your profile information at any time.