VIDANT Roanoke Chowan Hospital
Partnership with Hertford County Public Schools
Vidant Roanoke-Chowan Hospital has a strong history of partnering with Hertford County Public Schools to support health and wellness education and worksite wellness.
Examples of ways VIDANT partner with Hertford County Public Schools:
- For over 10 years, we have provided free ‘health education’ books for all elementary school students in the county – for students to take home
- Donate items annually to the ‘Stuff the Bus’ campaign
- Provide cash donations to the athletic programs at the high school annually
- Support annual health and wellness walks and events sponsored by the Farm to Table initiative with Roanoke-Chowan Community Health Center –annual cash donations of $600
- Staffing and cash donation for Special Olympics each year
- Hospital staff present education programs presented to students in schools – cancer prevention, health and nutrition, and behavioral health.
- Past grant funding to establish the Bear Care Center at the middle school; support school nurses in each school; start and maintain APP – adolescent parenting and prevention program for over 5 years; and funding for school-based health programs.
- Support for faculty/staff summer retreat – refreshments and presentation
- Annual heart health truth giveaways including tote bags and cookies for all staff in February – Heart Month.
- Annual ‘pink power’ breast cancer awareness items for all faculty/teachers during October Breast Cancer Awareness Month.
- Support for Convocation in August – health and wellness promotion and education about services.
- Hospital staff served on the committee to plan the new elementary school in Hertford County.
- Hospital staff serve on various school-related committees including Pre-K Advisory Committee and School Health Advisory Committee
Representing Vidant Roanoke-Chowan Hospital:
LISA NEWSOME, M.Ed.
Director of Community Relations